Welcome to The Sense List, a new feature on Books and Sensibility with a wrap up of YA news and events that we took notice of. This new feature is inspired by YA Highway's Field Trip Friday and Novel Thoughts This Week In YA
Oscar Buzz !
- The Oscars were quite a buzz for book lovers with The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris winning best animated short. Learn more about the short film at Steph's Stacks
- Hugo the film based on the middle grade novel by Brian Selsznick took home a total of 5 academy awards. Many bookish types on Twitter were upset at the lack credit given to Selznick during the award ceremony. There was even a drinking game.
- After 8 movies and 10 years the Harry Potter franchise walks away with zero Academy Awards. Many felt Harry Potter was robbed, but being a international phenomenon doesn't always guarantee you an Oscar.
Hunger Games Merchandise
- Nail Polish, water and now Crushable.com is reporting that Mattel is releasing a Hunger Games Katniss Barbie. Note, there are already Gale, Peeta and Katniss action figures yet only Katniss may be a Barbie.. . maybe she will come with a bow and arrow.
- Kat also spotted Hunger Games Nail Polish at Sally's Beauty.
For Your Information
- This week it was reported by WSJ that HarperCollins sold its creative writing platform website Inkpop to competitor Figment.com It was later confirmed in an e-mails sent to users and Inkpop.com was disabled on 3/1/12. Leigh Fallon's Carrier of The Mark was originally found on Inkpop.
- Jan Berenstain the co-creator of Berenstain Bears died on Febuaray 24th, she was 88 years old.
The title of the second Mara Dyer book was announced. . . The Evolution of Mara Dyer
- Debut Author Clair Le Grand's The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls was revealed on Story Siren. Le Grand also recieved her firstYA book deal for Winterspell
This Week On Books and Sensibility